Why you should register for the 2018 CrossFit Open
You have all experienced CrossFit, the fitness program. Starting on February 22nd, when the first workout is announced, the road to the CrossFit Games begins. This is your opportunity to be part of CrossFit, the sport!
Thorbeckes athletes will have the opportunity to compete when it will be our workout of the day every Friday. For five weeks, every CrossFit athlete in the world will be doing the same workout you are doing. If you aren’t sure if the CrossFit Open is for you, lets see if I convince you.
Now, I wouldn’t say that I love every second of the Open, but I have participated in it since its inception in 2011. The workouts are hard, and coming face to face with where you stand in the fitness world is humbling. But what I love is that I remember each of those workouts and exactly how I felt, what my weaknesses were, what I needed to work on, and how I’ve improved from year to year.
I also remember moments where my teammates pushed me through tough reps and made me do things I couldn’t have done otherwise. I remember doing toe to bars in singles and listening to Katy tell me why I sucked at them. But mostly I remember warming up feeling the nervous anticipation in the room as we all readied ourselves for what was about to come.
I also remember watching people get their first double under, first pull up, first muscle up and PR their snatch.
Many things have changed in my CrossFit life, but through those changes, I remember each Open.
Here are five reasons I encourage you to join this 2018 season.
1. Yes. You are good enough. And you won’t know exactly how good unless you push yourself. Even if you don’t do the workouts RX, you might surprise yourself with what you can do. Plus, you need a benchmark for next year. Your strengths and your weaknesses will be exposed. After all five workouts, you’ll be able to look back at your performances and know that you have set new benchmarks for yourself in all areas of your fitness.
2. You will be part of the larger CrossFit community. There’s a whole world out there doing CrossFit. These CrossFitters are doing what you are doing, and feeling what you are feeling. It’s an opportunity to be part of something BIG!
3. You get to compete in the gym. Most competitions mean travel, or whole days at other boxes, with people you don’t know. This competition is done in house, with your teammates. It’s a great way to compete with people all over the world, but from inside your own box with your piers.
4. I NEED you. These workouts cannot be done well without each other’s support. An important part of CrossFit is mutually shared experiences (aka pain) and this is one that is going on for 5 weeks. It’s a huge community builder, and a strong community benefits us all.
5. It’s fun! We aren’t trying to win anything. There is no pressure here. Only light hearted battles with ourselves.
You’ll never know what you can do if you wait until next year, or if you skip out completely. Explore what you have now, in this moment. Face the challenge. We are behind you!
A) 5 sets of:
Deadlift x 3 reps
Build to a heavy set of 3
B) 7 Minute AMRAP
Every minute, on the minute, starting at 00:00 5 Deadlifts 225/155